Friday, October 18, 2013

3rd Grade Chalk Pastel Spiders!

I love this lesson!! :) With this lesson, I incorporated art, science, reading, and writing.



My 3rd graders had sooo much fun with this one! It took about two days to finish. I saw this project on Pink and Green Mama. I followed it almost exactly only I let my kids pick any color for the spider webs.

On day one, we learned about spiders. I showed them a short youtube video, Spider facts. Then we drew a spider with a pencil onto a black piece of construction paper. They could draw as many as they liked but I told them not to make them too small. I had some visuals on their tables so that they could see what a spider actually looked like. I found a really great resource online that I was able to print off the anatomy so that they could see all the pieces and what they were called.  After they drew the spider, they outlined and filled it in with white glue. I showed them how to do this so that they would get too much glue. You have to be careful or the legs will run together. This needs to dry for 24-48 hours before you move onto the next step of the project. The glue will dry clear. You can see in the pictures how the glue is about half way dried when I took the picture.


When they were finished with that, I had them write 3-5 good sentences about what they learned about spiders.


Day two: On day two, we used chalk pastels to create the diagonal lines of the spider web and added color inside the pie pieces. They used a tissue or their fingers to spear the chalk pastels.





Next I asked them to draw the complete web with chalk pastel again. Including the curved lines that go around the diagonal lines. Ofcourse, I demonstrated this for them. After that, you can use a tissue or a damp sponge to wipe off any chalk from your spider.








1 comment:

  1. Hi! Did you use colored chalk or oil pastels? Thanks! :) glniewold@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete