Wednesday, October 16, 2013

1st Grade Batty Silhouettes

Last week, my 1st graders finished their wonderful bat paintings! These bats were so much fun! :)

I found a picture of a bat on google and printed it off. Then I traced it onto pieces of paper and cut them out. This gave me about twenty bat templates. We only used these templates to paint around.

On day one, we talked about everything we knew already about bats and learned some new things, too! After our discussion, students wrote 4 or 5 sentences about what we learned.

On day two, we watched the Ok Go Primary Colors. It's a catchy little song that tells them about primary colors. They loved this! I only wish it was longer! :) Then we watched another short video about the actual color wheel. This helped explain it a little more. The Color Wheel is that video.

After the video, I demonstrated how to double load the paintbrush with two primary colors and then apply it to the paper, thus mixing the colors into a secondary color. They had to hold their bat in place on the black paper while they painted around it. I told them to touch the bat with the paint brush and then pull the paint onto the black paper.

They had a lot of fun learning how to make new colors. I got this idea from Posh Lil Divas and tweaked it for my little ones!






No comments:

Post a Comment