Saturday, January 18, 2014

Kindergarten Chinese Dragon Faces!!

First, let me just say how much I LOVE these!! I found this idea on pinterest and here is the link Not-So-SAHM.

First we learned about the upcoming Chinese New Year. We talked about the differences and similarities between New Year in America and New Year in China. I love hearing their interpretations. :)

Next, I asked them if they remembered what SYMMETRY is.... .... ..... I then reminded them that it was when a pictures was exactly the same on both sides, like a butterfly. This project is pretty open-ended.

On to the project: we folded a piece of paper in half like their favorite book (for my next classes, we used red and yellow construction paper instead of white because it goes better with the Chinese New Year theme). Unfold it and lay it flat on the table. Only paint on one side of the paper. Using one color at a time, because the paint will dry fast, make circles, dots, lines, whatever they want. Fold the paper over, rub it with the palm of your hand, unfold... and Yep, you have symmetry!! Paint with another color anywhere and repeat process. Super easy and effective! :) Once the painting dried, we added eyes. They drew with glue wherever they wanted confetti/glitter and I sprinkled it on. We also added ribbon. I suggested maybe a mustache or eyebrows, but they could put the ribbon wherever they wanted. The results were fabulous!





















2 comments:

  1. LOVE how you added confetti/glitter, Tracy! We may be making another round of these ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wonderful idea! These were perfect for my kinders. :) I loved the ooooohs and ahhhhhs I heard when I first opened up the paper to reveal the symmetry and the loved adding the confetti!

      Delete