Sunday, January 19, 2014

1st grade Spiral Snakes

For this project, we read Swirl by Swirl by Joyce Sidman. We searched for spiral shapes and patterns as we read the book. This book has beautiful illustrations! 

Next, they were able to use markers, colored pencils and crayons to create new patterns inside their very own snake. They were to use color on both sides of the snake (front and back).  When they were finished, they cut out their snake, very carefully, cutting on all of the black lines, inside the snake as well. They could bring it home or leave it to be displayed. These would be wonderful hung from the ceiling! If I had early finishers, I let them make another snake! Some made three or four! I used a printed off snake on copy paper but you can easily show them how to draw their own snake! 

With my early finishers, I did just that! Instead of grabbing one of my preprinted snakes, I showed them how to it's just a spiral and to start in the middle and draw out. Next year, I'm going to have them draw it themselves and then they can turn it into any creature they want, like a snake.














No comments:

Post a Comment