Saturday, January 18, 2014

Art Parties!!!!

Something new I've started is to add an "Arty Party" as an incentive to better classroom behavior and clean up. It seems to be working pretty well. They need 10 stars to earn their party. To earn their star, they must come in quietly, listen well, work hard, and clean up (fast and safe). 

The best thing about the parties is it's not just a party. They are still LEARNING. These are more student-directed learning and exploring art centers. I have four or five centers out (depending on the class). I have play-doh tables, watercolor painting tables, collage center, stamping and texture plates and drawing table. The extra center that I add for some classes is the blocks center. Play-doh is by far the most popular, therefore, I have three tables set up.

Students are able to make whatever they want (as long as it's school-appropriate!). I give them clay tools to work with for the play-doh. They can paint as many pictures as they want. They can go to any center they want. They change centers as often as they like as long as they clean up before moving. I love seeing what they make all on their own! :) 
















No comments:

Post a Comment